Pre-consultation evidence 2016-7
Introduction to the Reports
ABNC knows that decision-makers should have regard to evidence.
We produced two pre-consultation evidence reports, a first report in September 2016 and a Supplement to that report in March 2017.
To produce these we commissioned professional ecological surveys and reports. Our volunteers also identified key features of the landscape's historic environment and community life relevant to planning. We have considered what evidence is relevant to planning criteria including the West Sussex County Council's Landscape Strategy and the South Downs National Park's Special Qualities.
It does not appear that Highways England took account of ABNC's evidence in selecting options for the public consultation.
(For ABNC's response to the Autumn 2017 Public Consultation, click here.)
March 2017 Supplementary
ABNC Evidence Report
2. The new Ecological Evidence (independent reports from MAVES)
3. The new Heritage Evidence
4. The new Community Evidence
ABNC Evidence Report September 2016
Reasons for rejecting the Arundel Bypass route through Binsted
at the Options Identification Stage
The Planning Case
- West Sussex County Council’s ‘Strategy for the West Sussex Landscape’
- The planning policies of the South Downs National Park
The Supporting Evidence
Chapter 2: Binsted’s Natural Environment
Chapter 3: Binsted’s Cultural Heritage
3.4: Binsted Arts Festival publications:
- The Binsted Arts Weekend programme of events, 2016
- The Binsted Arts Weekend Poetry Competition Anthology, 2016 (online version)
Chapter 4: Binsted’s Community
4.2: Community publications:
- ‘Binsted, the Heart of our Horizon’, by Matilda Tristram, 2016
- ‘Binsted and Beyond’, Millennium book published 2002
Chapter 5: Wider Community Supporting the Protection of Binsted
- Letter from Walberton Parish Council
- The ABNC Petition with over 1390 signatures
- Websites of groups concerned about the bypass and the area south-west of Arundel:
Arundel Bypass Neighbourhood Committee
Tortington Local Community
Arundel A27 Forum
How You Can Help
Please reject Highways England’s scheme by filling in their online survey, and voice your support for the Arundel Alternative:We recommend selecting Beige or Cyan as your preferred option and adding in the comment box that you support the alignment, but that it must be the Arundel Alternative, a 40mph .wide-single carriageway, not a 70mph dual carriageway.More advice about the survey will soon be available on
If you would like support us, then send us an email with your contact details.
We will keep you in touch with Arundel A27 affairs by e-newsletter.